Name of Provider
Summary of the Offer
Improving access, performance, experiences and progression for care leavers.
More About the Offer
The University of Greenwich, will demonstrate our commitment to the care leaver covenant through the following actions:
- Providing care experienced young people with opportunities to fulfil their potential and broaden their horizons, through our targeted programme of outreach activity and priority access to the University of Greenwich taster days. We are responsive to the particular needs of these students and will facilitate bespoke and one-to-one activity to support their progression where appropriate.
- Providing care leavers with additional and early support when applying to University through a Designated Member of Staff for Care Leavers and a
dedicated Care Leaver Coordinator. This could include careers guidance, attendance at Open Days, bespoke visits to the University and advice and guidance on finance, accommodation and other support services.
- Giving care leavers priority status, reassurance and security when applying to, and staying in, accommodation through our 365 day accommodation guarantee; residential assistants; and moving in day support and guidance.
- Providing additional support to help meet the costs of living independently whilst studying. This includes our Care Leaver Bursary of £1000 for each progressive year of study and support with the costs of graduation; the Greenwich Scholarship Programme and financial advice and support in gaining Local Authority funding. We can also provide budgeting guidance and advice on any other funds and bursaries for which the care leaver may be entitled to. We enhance this offer through links with the Students Finance Advisers and the Student Union, who can provide additional support, guidance and advocacy.
- Providing care leavers with enhanced transition support, to facilitate their adjustment into University life through our Greenwich Friends Mentoring Scheme which allows more experienced Student Ambassadors to mentor new care leaver students.
- Providing care leavers with support throughout the student lifecycle through the Designated Member of Staff for Care Leavers and dedicated Care Leaver Coordinator with referral to named advisers in key services who offer information and one-to-one advice and guidance. These include the Student Finance Team, Accommodation Services, Student Wellbeing Team (including Disability and Dyslexia Support, Mental Health and Counselling Support, Chaplaincy, Academic Skills support and Careers and Employability team.
- Providing care leavers with opportunities to experience and enter the world of work and build their personal development, through our care leaver ambassador roles, and Greenwich Friends Mentoring scheme.
- Providing care leavers with opportunities to experience new things to enrich their university life and experiences. For example, through regular emails to Care Leavers promoting events throughout the year which enhance their academic success and employment prospects.
- Provide care leavers with a network of support through key relationships with Local Authorities, Virtual Schools, charities and colleges.
- Raising awareness of the needs of care experienced students amongst current staff and students and consulting with care leavers to inform development of our services.
We will publicise our commitments on our website, setting out how we will seek to put them into practice; and inviting feedback from care leavers on their impact.
How to Apply
How to Register
If you are interested in taking up any of this support, contact The University of Greenwich at firstname.lastname@example.org. or by telephone on 020 8331 9000